Looking back over 2019, The Mustard Seed has so much to be grateful for. It has been a challenging, but also an exciting time, as we have been busy celebrating our organization’s 35th anniversary, expanding our programs and services into the city of Medicine Hat, and also developing affordable supportive housing for our Canadian veterans.
These large-scale initiatives are only possible because of you! The support we have received this year has made our goals and objectives obtainable; therefore, we have seen more and more of our guest’s needs met and have watched them grow mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.
Across all of our Mustard Seed locations (now five!), in 2019 our donors, volunteers, and staff:
- served 503,000 meals,
- donated 528,000 lbs. of clothing,
- helped provide 486 mats for guests to put their heads down at night,
- and volunteered over 115,200 hours of time.
We would also like to thank our community for their participation in our events. Our family-fun-filled fundraisers are a large part of what we do and a means to educate and break stigmas. This year we want to thank our friends and families who helped us:
- collect food donations at our Turkey Ham Jam event, where we raised $15,000 for our families in need at local Co-op grocery stores in Calgary,
- provide 2,796 toys to 1,601 children this Christmas through our Family Gift Centre in Edmonton,
- serve over 3,000 guests a free meal this past summer at our Calgary Stampede BBQ,
- walk in the cold lit streets to raise awareness and over $137,000 for our programs and services in our annual Coldest Night of the Year fundraiser throughout Calgary, Edmonton, Red Deer, and Kamloops,
- and pack and deliver over 60,000 school lunches to children in Red Deer and the surrounding communities.
This tremendous support allows our organization to grow, in turn enabling our vulnerable populations to shrink.
From the bottom of our hearts, thank you from The Mustard Seed for another year of great support, generosity, and compassion.