In Lethbridge: (from Lethbridge Community Wellbeing Needs Assessment Report 2019)
- There are an estimated 223 people experiencing homelessness
- The number of people experiencing homelessness increased 151% between 2016-2018
- 14% of households fall below the low-income threshold
- 24/7 security and no-loitering policy
Shelter is a basic human necessity, particularly in Alberta where winters can be harsh and unforgiving. In Lethbridge, the number of individuals experiencing homelessness regularly exceeds the number of shelter spaces available in the city. There is a critical need for safe, appropriate shelter to meet the needs of our most vulnerable citizens.
The Mustard Seed is actively seeking the right location for a 24/7 sober shelter, which will provide:
- Warm, safe space for up to 45 individuals each night
- Three meals per day
- A sober environment where those recovering from addictions and/or not under the influence of substances can access supports without the temptation of drugs and alcohol
- 24/7 on-site services and supports
With more than 35-years of experience in poverty alleviation, The Mustard Seed operates shelters in Calgary, Edmonton, Red Deer and Kamloops. In each community where we serve, we take seriously our commitment to be good neighbours as we provide vulnerable individuals with the food, clothing, shelter, and support they need to rebuild their lives.
Printable Info Sheet (PDF)
Contact us: infoLethbridge@theseed.ca