Good Neighbour Plan
About the Mustard Seed
The Mustard Seed is a Registered Charity that provides a safe and supportive place where individuals experiencing barriers associated with poverty and homelessness can have their physical, emotional and spiritual needs met so that a better life down the road can begin.
The COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in an urgent need to provide temporary, 24/7 accommodations for the hundreds of people who would otherwise sleep outside on any given night in Edmonton.
Existing overnight emergency shelter spaces and day services for people experiencing homelessness cannot meet this need due to capacity issues and physical distancing guidelines. In response, temporary emergency 24/7 accommodations have been established across Edmonton, on both the north and south sides of the city.
The Mustard Seed identified a privately owned warehouse at 9935 75 Avenue in October 2020. This location will be leased from CESSCO on a temporary basis, from November 2020 to May 2021.
- The Mustard Seed will provide services in an effective, safe and secure manner.
- Services will be provided 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, lessening the need for individuals to travel elsewhere to access the services they require.
- The site will have trained professionals on-site at all times. Staff have experience working in the homeless serving sector, including in relationship building and de-escalation techniques.
- All individuals will undergo a health screening for COVID-19 before entering. Any symptomatic individuals will be transported to an isolation facility to receive the care they need.
Good Neighbour Commitment
The Mustard Seed is committed to being a good neighbour and working with the surrounding neighbourhood to share information, address issues and explore opportunities to give back to the community. We will also provide monthly updates through a community newsletter that will be shared with the Community League and posted on the Mustard Seed website.
Community members who are interested in donating goods, such as bottled water or winter clothing items can do so at the Personal Assistance Centre, 10568 114 Street NW from Monday to Friday, 8:30 - 4:00 p.m.
Volunteer inquiries can be sent to [email protected].
Security and Cleanliness
The Mustard Seed recognizes there are community members and businesses with concerns and questions. We also understand that there are longstanding concerns in the community regarding safety and crime that pre-date the need for temporary pandemic accommodations in this community.
In response, the Mustard Seed is working with the City of Edmonton to be as proactive as possible and implement enhanced safety and security measures:
- Mustard Seed staff will continually monitor the internal and external environment around the location and manage security on site.
- Old Strathcona Clean and Capital City Clean Up will conduct proactive litter and needle collections.
- City Peace Officers will expand their deployment to include the top of the Mill Creek ravine bank and increase their presence in the community, including on Whyte Avenue. There will be a focus on park spaces, back alleys, and transit property along 99th Street.
- The City of Edmonton’s Community Social Worker and Neighborhood Empowerment Team will be available to support business and community members as needed. (Contact: [email protected])
Who to Contact
If you have questions or concerns, please contact us. We take any concerns raised by the community, neighbours or businesses very seriously and always endeavor to find mutually agreeable solutions.
Emergencies (medical emergencies, risk/harm to life or property)
Individuals in crisis
Call 211 press 3 for the 24/7 Crisis Diversion Team
Non-emergency questions, comments or concerns
Email: [email protected]
This is an Edmonton only event. Please change you location to Edmonton to view this content.